Mostert's Mill was built in 1796, on the farm - Welgelegen, in Cape Town South Africa, then the property of Gysbert van Reenen. The mill was used to grind wheat into wholewheat meal. Eventually the mill fell into disrepair. It was restored in 1935 but again the mill deteriorated during the war years but in 1993 the Friends of Mostert's Mill was formed and the second renovation completed by 1996.
The base of the mill is a circular masonry wall, The lower 2.25 metres are a random stone construction with unbaked bricks around the openings and up to the top of the wall, then plastered and whitewashed. Around the mill is a circular level stone platform. The Mill is a ‘'bovenkruier • (Dutch word) that means that the cap, together with the sails, windshaft and brake-wheel, are turned to bring the sails into the wind. The base remains stationary. The Mill is also a “buitenkruier" that means that the winding of the mill takes place outside the mill, not inside the cap. The machinery is made almost entirely of wood. The transmission of power from sails to stones is direct as there is no mechanism for uncoupling the Quant and when the sails turn, the runner stone turns too. The machinery of the mill is described in detail in Mostert's Mill, Cape Town, by James Walton.